10 Suggestions to Improve Your Mental Health Today!
Having good mental health, or “balance” in our social, emotional, and psychological states, does not have to be complicated. The key to working towards this balance is to recognize that our lives are made up of several components such as work, social, spiritual, and family, to name a few. It is the sum of these parts which creates our daily existence. Striking a healthy balance in these gives us the sense of “wholeness” or good mental health. When we try to reap all life’s satisfaction out of one area of life, the other areas often become neglected and imbalance occurs which might lead to poor mental health. This being said, there are simple things that you can start doing today to work towards keeping, or improving, the “psychological balance” in your life. The following 10 easy steps are designed to help you find your own optimal “balance.”
The 10 Steps to improve mental health:
- Accept who you are. This is easy to say but at times difficult to do. Accepting who we are requires taking an honest look at ourselves and then acknowledging the “imperfections” that we have. Issues can be transformed into material for personal goals and growth.
- Talk about it. Just because life has handed you a bunch of lemons does not mean that you have to make lemonade. There is no law that says that you have to silently suffer; you have a voice, use it to express what you are going through and reach out to others for support.
- Keep active. It is well known that the brain-body connection is powerful, and that physical exercise is a natural method for improving mood and stamina. Incorporating regular physical exercise into your life may be just what the doctor ordered. However, before you begin an exercise regimen, you might need talk it over with your GP first if you have health issues.
- Learn a new skill. This is an excellent method to improve your self-esteem. Gaining mastery over something that you have never done before is a wonderful feeling; but remember, practice makes perfect!
- Keep in touch with friends. Staying connected with our friends gives us the opportunity to connect, share, and to socialize with others.
- Do something creative. Allowing yourself to tap into their creative side can be liberating and give an excellent avenue for expression. Though you may not be Michelangelo, there is an inherent beauty in the things you create; they are a product of the creative efforts that originated with you. Remembering that you are capable of creating beauty can be empowering.
- Get involved. Staying connected with the world around us serves to give our life purpose and meaning. Volunteering your time for a purpose that you are passionate about can help to add to your sense of purpose and offer a way for you to give back to your community.
- Ask for help. It is no secret that life can be difficult at times; however, many of us keep our difficulties to ourselves and act as if no wrong comes our way. There is nothing wrong with asking for help, especially when it allows us to get on with things quicker.
- Relax. When was the last time you did this? If you have difficulty remembering then you could probably do with some R&R. Relaxing helps to reduce stress levels and improves the sense of overall wellbeing.
- Survive. Remember that nothing lasts forever, even our most challenging life experiences. Coming out the other side of things does not make you a victim but a survivor.
Learning how to find the proper balance in our lives sometimes takes a bit of time. However, with enough practice and attention the multiple areas that makes up our lives one can find the ideal balance and achieve good mental health. Incorporating the assistance of a trained mental health professional can be invaluable, especially during times of great emotional unbalance.
Harley Therapy connects you with accredited UK therapists who can help you reach emotional, social and psychological balance in your life and improve your mental health.