About our Founder: Dr Sheri Jacobson
PhD, MA, MSc, PG Dip, MBACP (Retired)
Sheri's therapy training commenced in 1997 and has covered multiple approaches. She has degrees in Philosophy, Politics and Economics (Oxford University), Social Anthropology (University College London), and a PhD in Counselling and Psychotherapy (Regent's College, London). Her final degree was in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (Institute of Psychiatry, London).
She is a retired senior therapist with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, after being accredited for 16 years. During that time she worked for MIND, MENCAP, a women's centre, an alcohol advice centre, the NHS, and with private clients.
She established Harley Therapy in 2006 with the goal of providing first-rate therapy services by carefully vetted practitioners, as well as compiling educational resources for those who cannot access these services.
Sheri oversees the hand-selection of highly skilled, warm and engaging practitioners to work from Harley Therapy's rooms in central London, as well as Harley Therapy Platform - a network of therapists across the UK with fees from as low at £25 per session.
Called the 'Mary Berry of Therapy’ for her dedication to the field of therapy, she is passionate about de-stigmatising mental health and therapeutic support and making it a positive mainstream topic.
She is the host of the Podcast TherapyLab where she speaks to guests about their experiences of psychological challenges, therapy and wellbeing habits. She and her team launched the 'Choose Therapy' campaign (@HarleyTherapy) to help normalise therapy.
She carves out plenty of time for self-care. Her chief wellbeing habit is weekly therapy and rollerblading daily where possible!
After an early foray into investment banking and management consultancy, Sheri turned her back on the world of economics and finance to embark on a 10-year psychotherapy training and a 7-year period as a volunteer counsellor.
Sheri has been in therapy since 17, continues to read avidly on the subject of psychology and delivers workshops. She retired from clinical work to concentrate on making therapeutic professional help a sign of strength.
She regularly speaks to organisations, from large corporates to schools, and comments to the press, spreading the word about the importance of emotional wellbeing, technology and self-care.
In the desire to help more people in a way that is affordable and accessible, Sheri co-founded 'HarleyTherapy.com' which is a curated marketplace that allows anyone to find and book a high quality therapist, either online, by phone or face-to-face. Sheri has helped migrate the counselling industry into the modern age, preserving its core values and prizing human connection. It’s Sheri's belief that everyone can benefit from professional support - not only individuals with complex psychological conditions but people wishing to maximise their fulfilment in life.
Having already conducted 250,000 therapy sessions with over 20,000 people to date, and with a readership of over 2 million unique visitors to the Harley Therapy Blog, she continues to try to make a positive psychological impact on millions of lives worldwide.
An advocate of living and working green, she started a paperless culture long before it was mainstream. She encourages remote-based working which not only reduces everyone's carbon footprint but leads to more family-friendly work patterns.
Believing in helping other entrepreneurs she has used the proceeds of her work to invest in UK technology, social impact & environmental businesses since 2013.
- MA Philosophy, Politics and Economics (Oxford University 1997)
- MSc Social Anthropology (University College London 1998)
- Certificates and Advanced Certificate in Counselling Skills & Theory (CSCT, 1999)
- Post-Graduate Diploma Psychotherapy & Counselling (Regent’s College, 2002)
- PhD in Counselling and Psychotherapy (Regent's College, London, 2006)
- PGDip Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (Institute of Psychiatry, London, 2008)
- Retired senior therapist with the BACP reg no. 529067 (after 16 years)
- Accredited therapist BACP (since 2002 and Senior retired since 2015)
- VACTS accredited counsellor (Volunteer Alcohol Counsellors Training Scheme 1999)
- 01/17 - Present CEO of Harley Therapy Platform Ltd
- 12/05 - Present Clinical Director of Harley Therapy Ltd
- 09/00 – 06/07 Therapy Centre, Regent's College (University) - Counsellor and in-take-interviewer
- 05/00 - 08/05 MIND Brent - Interview assessments and short, term therapy for individuals with presenting issues such as depression, anxiety and stress.
- 09/99 - 05/01 Women’s Centre Watford - Volunteer counsellor for women who have suffered from sexual abuse, domestic violence and eating disorders.
- 10/99 - 05/00 Quitline telephone counselling for smokers.
- 01/99 - 07/99 MENCAP Watford - Volunteer counsellor for individuals with disabilities, namely Down Syndrome.
- 06/98 - 11/01 Alcohol Advice Centre Watford - Volunteer counsellor for drinkers and third parties
- Judge for the Pure Package Wellness Awards 2019
- Ambassador for Big Youth Group 2019
- London Tech Advocate 2018
- Ditchley Foundation contributor
- Member of starting committee “Journal of Psychiatry and Mental Health”, UCL. 1998 - 1999
- Vice-President of JCR Keble College, 1995 - 1996
- Editor and Arts contributor for Oxford University’s “The Brick” Magazine, 1995 - 1996
- Conference delegate at American Psychoanalytic Association
- Delegate at the International Psychoanalytic Association
- Ongoing courses run by the British Psychoanalytical Society
- 14 week Samaritan Training on telephone and drop-in support
- QUITLINE Training course and Certificate in smoking cessation
- Public speaking awards from a Regional Business & Professional Speaking Competition
- Supervision with a number of established therapists whose orientations include Existential, Psychodynamic, Gestalt & Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
- Tech Crunch: The opportunities & challenges for mental health tech
- Sunday Times 'Divorce Requests Set to Soar in January' 30 December 2019
- Ethos Magazine September 2018
- Hoffman 'Moving Up a Gear'
- Big Wheel Blading 'Rollerblading Towards Mental Health – Six Wellbeing and Productivity Habits of a Serial Entrepreneur
- Metro - Sleep Anxiety The Fear of Being Tired
- Mental Health UK - Should I start therapy and will it help me?
- See more press featuring Harley Therapy here.
- BBC Radio Scotland on Love Island, 21 June 2019
- BBC Radio London - Jo Good on childhood toys, 24 December 2018
- TalkRadio - Matthew Wright Show on Christmas blues, 13 December 2019
- Battered Men - Domestic abuse (Channel 5)
- Stress in the workplace (BBC News)
Standard Chartered Bank, AIG, Wiser, ITV, Santander, Diesel, Farfetch, London Mayor’s Office, Proximity, Bain Capital, Mullen Lowe, British Fashion Council, National Maritime Museum, Heads of Boarding Schools, Society of Heads, D’Overbroeks School
- Finalist in 2018 Enterprise Awards - "The Oscars for Technology”
- Finalist Best Women Business Awards 2018
- Semi-Finalist EY Entrepreneur of The Year 2018
- Delegate 2018 Mayor's International Business Programme - Silicon Valley Trade Mission
- EY Winning Women Program 2018
Host of Podcast TherapyLab
Guests include: June Sarpong, Adam Pearson, Paul Sanderson, George David Hodgson, Chlöe Howl, Alexa Goddard
- FT Future 100 UK's Fastest Growing Impact Companies 2018/2019
- Winner in Best of Britain Business Awards 2018
- Winner Digital Health Awards 2018 "The Airbnb for Therapy"
- Winner of Best Healthcare Website in WebAwards 2018