Has your child or teen been diagnosed as autistic? And you are looking for further support to help them lead their best life? As well as navigating what this means for you and your family?
Receiving a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) can bring both relief at finally understanding your child's struggles, as well as overwhelm at what now lies ahead.
Help for child autism symptoms
From learning differences to mild autism or Aspergers, the ASD spectrum is wide. Each child will manifest autism in their own unique way. It's now also understood that autism in girls can present differently than in boys.
But in general, autism symptoms mean your child will socialise and communicate differently than other children, have a limited range of interests, repetitive behaviours, and either under or overreact to sensory information like sounds, light, colour, and touch.
Post diagnostic support for children, teens (and adults!)
Post diagnostic support troubleshoots all these areas of autistic child behaviour, while also developing your child's strengths, unique gifts, and confidence. There is no known 'cure' for autism. But the right support can help your autistic child lead a life where they are happy, with the skills to do things to the best of their ability, and have a high quality of life.
Autism therapy and counselling
At Harley Therapy we have a wide range of mental health experts available working from our rooms to help your family and child as needed, including:
- child psychologists
- counselling psychologists
- family therapists.
Therapy for autism related issues
Psychologists and psychotherapists can offer support around co-occuring issues, including:
- learning differences
- physical clumsiness
- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Autism help for parents
It is important to have a strong support network for both the child and parent after an autism diagnosis. Autism help for parents can include support groups but also individal counselling and couples counselling. The aim is to provide:
- targeted parenting skills
- stress management tools
- help with family communication and conflict
- identity support (maintaing your life outside of 'mom/dad')
- and a safe, non-judgemental space to unload thoughts and feelings.
Autism and developmental disorders in London - the Harley Therapy™ approach
The autism experts recognise you and your family are unique. They aim to make navigating your child or teen's autism as clear and comfortable as possible for you, with targeted treatments and support.
All the practitioners working from Harley Therapy are known for being among the best in their field. Trained at top institutions and with many years of experience, they are hand selected for their committment to clients.
Why not get in touch to discuss your concerns and get the support you need? Call us now or book online to make a confidential appointment with an autism expert in Harley Street, London Bridge or online.
- NICE Guidelines: Diagnosis and Treament of Autism Spectrum Disorder in Under 19s
- What is Autism Spectrum Disorder?
- Does Your Child Need an Autism Test? Screening for ASD
- What is an Educational Psychologist, and Does Your Child Need One?
Autism charities, support groups, and organisations in the UK
- The National Autism Society (advice/support/online community)
- Autism Speaks Organisation (advocacy and support)
- Child Autism UK (advice, support, and helpline)
- Ambitious About Autism - help for children and young people
- NHS finder tool for National support groups