Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Counselling and Psychotherapy
Depression, anxiety and low self-esteem are problems that can affect each and every one of us, regardless of our sexual orientation. Yet, for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) individuals, the sources of mental distress are both wide and far-reaching. Coming to terms with one’s sexuality, facing homophobic attitudes and discrimination, and suffering rejection from the ones we love are all issues that have the potential to cause significant emotional and psychological distress. They permeate all aspects of life including self-worth, relationships and even our occupation and career choices, and unsurprisingly they can have a devastating impact on health and happiness. Consequently, it can feel as if there is no one who can help and no way out of the spiral of distress and misery.
How can counselling and psychotherapy help with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues?
By talking through the problems you face with a trained therapist in a safe, non-judgemental and confidential environment you can begin to build up a solid base of support that can equip you with the coping strategies to challenge the problems you face. Your therapist can provide you with the tools and techniques to be able to cope effectively with events/situations that might precipitate distress, and help you explore complex and painful emotions in safety and comfort. Your therapist can target surrounding issues such as depression, anxiety or substance use which may be blocking your way to better mental health. Therapists can also explore issues surrounding sex and relationships, and support you through to achieving both your short and long-term goals. Finally, therapists can also offer couples counselling, if both you and your partner feel this would be of benefit to the relationship.
Benefits of counselling and psychotherapy for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues
- Confidential, non-judgemental environment in which to discuss your concerns, emotions and feelings
- Develops tailor-made coping strategies to manage stressful/distressing situations, e.g. in the face of homophobia or hostility
- Support with the difficult process of 'coming out' to friends and family
- Targets surrounding issues such as depression, anxiety, low self-esteem and addiction
- Be able to explore private matters such as sex and relationship issues in safety.
Counselling for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender problems at Harley Therapy™ London.
The psychologists and counsellors practicing at Harley Therapy see many people, each with their own unique problem and issues to resolve. If you are having issues with some of the problems listed on the right, then you too may benefit from counselling and psychotherapy. Several of the therapists at Harley Therapy (in Harley Street and City of London) have experience in working with LGBT issues and can help you on your journery to self-improvement. Additionally, if you wish to combine counselling and psychotherapy with medication we can refer you to our private consultant psychiatrist.
ASK US A QUESTION
ARE YOU A JOURNALIST WRITING ABOUT THIS TOPIC?
If you are a journalist writing about this subject, do get in touch - we may be able to comment or provide a pull quote from a professional therapist.
Further reading on LGBT therapy
Here is some suggested reading material, selected by Harley Therapy, which can provide some insight into lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues:
- 'Cognitive-Behavioural Therapies with Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Clients' (2004) by Martin Goldfried, Christopher Martell, Stacey Prince and Steven Safren
- 'Lesbian Couples: A Guide to Creating Healthy Relationships' (2000) by D. Merilee Clunis & G. Dorsey Green
- 'Get Closer: A Gay Men’s Guide to Intimacy and Relationships' (2004) by Jeffrey N. Chernin
CITE THIS PAGE
Harley Therapy Ltd. “LGBT counselling in London • Harley Therapy™”. Harley Therapy, 1 Jan. 2021, https://www.harleytherapy.co.uk/lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgender-counselling-london.htm. Accessed 18 Apr. 2021.
Harley Therapy Ltd. (2021, January 1). LGBT counselling in London • Harley Therapy™. Retrieved from https://www.harleytherapy.co.uk/lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgender-counselling-london.htm
Harley Therapy Ltd. "LGBT counselling in London • Harley Therapy™." Last modified January 1, 2021. Accessed April 18, 2021. https://www.harleytherapy.co.uk/lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgender-counselling-london.htm.
Issues suited to LGBT Counselling:
- Depression, anxiety or low self-esteem
- Confusion about your sexual orientation
- Coming out
- Identify Issues concerning sex or gender
- Living with HIV/AIDS or other illnesses
- Relationship issues
- Fidelity, trust and jealousy issues
- Transgender issues
- Issues with sex
- Substance/addiction issues
- Trauma such as bullying, homophobia or stigma