Marriage Counselling and Psychotherapy in London
Is your marriage not what it was?
- Struggling to understand your spouse lately, and missing the closeness you once had?
- Feeling taken for granted?
- Or has an affair or major life change turned your life together upside down?
Marriages are a deep personal investment, and when things go wrong it can erode your confidence and sense of self. You might feel fatigued and confused. How did you get here, and what can you do?
Do we really need a therapist?
Well-meaning friends and family might offer advice, but are often too involved to give you the perspective you need. A marriage counsellor, on the other hand, can offer an unbiased, non-judgemental, and entirely confidential helping hand.
Your relationship is the true client when you attend marriage counselling. Our therapists do not take sides or tell you what to do. They are here to help you develop your skills of listening and communicating so you an clarify your conflict, identify how you really think and feel, and decide the best possible outcomes for the both of you.
Understand each other again - The Harley Therapy™ approach
All of our expert marriage therapists have at least seven years experience, and are passionate about what they do. With counselling and therapy to match your personal needs, you can book a single session or ongoing sessions over the course of several weeks or months. Sometimes you might also want to also see your counsellor individually, which can be arranged.
What is a marriage counselling session like?
Your first session will be be an assessment where your therapist works to understand what has bought you to counselling and asks your history as a couple. It will include questions such as:
- How can therapy best serve your relationship?
- And what are your expectations?
- What are the things you feel are not working?
- How long have these problems been going on?
- What are you hoping to learn from marital counselling, and what are your expectations?
The benefits of counselling for marital problems
Your following sessions will see your therapist helping you with the following:
- learning open and honest communication
- recognising behavioural patterns
- understanding and owning your feelings and actions
- seeing each others' perspective
- negotiating with each other
- managing expectations
- compromising in useful ways
- finding new ways forward.
What if we just aren't made for each other?
While it's true that marriage counselling can sometimes result in a decision to separate, it gives you the tools to do so in a way that is honest and fair for both you and your family.
Talk to us today
Harley Therapy can offer you confidential marriage counselling, couples counselling, marital guidance, and separation support in our central London offices at Harley Street, London Bridge, or the City of London.
Call us now or use our online booking form to arrange for your assessment with one of our expert and experienced therapists.
ASK US A QUESTION
ARE YOU A JOURNALIST WRITING ABOUT THIS TOPIC?
If you are a journalist writing about this subject, do get in touch - we may be able to comment or provide a pull quote from a professional therapist.
Further reading on marriage problems and counselling
- 'The Relate Guide to Better Relationships: Practical Ways to Make Your Love Last.' Sarah Litvinoff (1998).
- ‘Overcoming Relationship Problems: A Self Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques’. by Dr. Michael Crowe (2005).
- Ten tips to manage anger and reduce conflict in relationships
- Relationship conflict - still fighting about the same old things?
- Authentic relationships - do you have a genuine connection?
- Jealousy in relationships - is it all in your head?
The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) is an association for UK-based counselling professionals. It supports practitioners, enabling them to provide a better service.
CITE THIS PAGE
Harley Therapy Ltd. “Marriage Therapy in London • Harley Therapy™”. Harley Therapy, 17 Nov. 2021, https://www.harleytherapy.co.uk/marriage-counselling-london.htm. Accessed 1 Dec. 2021.
Harley Therapy Ltd. (2021, November 17). Marriage Therapy in London • Harley Therapy™. Retrieved from https://www.harleytherapy.co.uk/marriage-counselling-london.htm
Harley Therapy Ltd. "Marriage Therapy in London • Harley Therapy™." Last modified November 17, 2021. Accessed December 1, 2021. https://www.harleytherapy.co.uk/marriage-counselling-london.htm.