- Struggling to understand your spouse lately, and missing the closeness you once had?
- Has an affair or major life change turned your life together upside down?
- Or are you just feeling taken for granted?
Now is the time to mend your marriage.
Marriages are a deep personal investment, and when things go wrong it can erode your confidence and sense of self. You might feel fatigued and confused. How did you get here, and what can you do?
Regardless of the issue, marriage counselling can help. And it is useful for any part of a marriage's lifeline, from premarital doubts if you are engaged to be married, to the good years when you just need help discussing parenting and money issues, right down to living apart and considering a divorce.
Marriage counselling is not about who is right or wrong, or about blaming each other. It's about remembering who you both are, stopping the endless cycle of conflict or avoidance, and creating a way forward that works for both of you.
Do we really need marriage counselling?
Well-meaning friends and family might offer advice, but are often too involved to give you the perspective you need. A marriage counsellor, on the other hand, can offer an unbiased, non-judgemental, and entirely confidential helping hand.
Your relationship is the true client when you attend marriage counselling. Our therapists do not take sides or tell you what to do. They are here to help you develop your skills of listening and communicating so you an clarify your conflict, identify how you really think and feel, and decide the best possible outcomes for the both of you.
Understand each other again - The Harley Therapy™ approach
All of our expert marriage therapists have at least ten years experience, and are passionate about what they do. With counselling and therapy to match your personal needs, you can book a single session to start with and ongoing sessions over the course of several weeks or months. Sometimes you might also want to also see your counsellor individually, which can be arranged.
What is a marriage counselling session like?
Your first session will be an assessment where your therapist works to understand what has brought you to counselling and asks about your history as a couple. It will include questions such as:
- How can therapy best serve your relationship?
- And what are your expectations?
- What are the things you feel are not working?
- How long have these problems been going on?
- What are you hoping to learn from marital counselling?
What are the benefits of marriage counselling?
You will benefit by knowing that counselling can only improve matters. It cannot make your marriage worse, but simply gets to the root source of the issues you already have. Your marriage counsellor creates a safe space for both of you to be heard, and helps you communicate with each other in constructive ways. The goal of therapy is to reach a new understanding of who you are as individuals and a couple, and to make decisions together that benefit you both. While it's true that the process can sometimes result in a decision to separate, it gives you the tools to do so in a way that is honest and fair for both you and your family. This can include making choices together on how you will co-parent and support your children, if you have any.
Beyond your first session, your therapist will help you and your partner with the following:
- learning open and honest communication
- recognising behavioural patterns
- understanding and owning your feelings and actions
- seeing each others' perspective
- negotiating with each other
- managing expectations
- compromising in useful ways
- finding new ways forward.
Is it too late for us to save our union?
You can come to marriage counselling even if one or both or you is convinced it is time to split. Even if ultimately you do decide the relationship is over, you can navigate the separation and divorce in as healthy and respectful a way as possible. However we find that many couples are successfully able to rekindle their marriage through better understanding, communication and collaboration.
Talk to us today
Harley Therapy offers confidential marriage counselling, marital guidance, and separation support from some of the best marriage counsellors in the UK from our central London offices located at Harley Street, London Bridge, or the City of London. For your convenience, they also offer online sessions if you live or work further afield, or a hybrid approach where you can combine in-person with online meetings.
Call us now or use our online booking form to arrange your first marriage counselling session with one of our expert and experienced therapists.
ASK US A QUESTION
ARE YOU A JOURNALIST WRITING ABOUT THIS TOPIC?
If you are a journalist writing about this subject, do get in touch - we may be able to comment or provide a pull quote from a professional therapist.
Further reading on marriage problems and counselling
- Can Couples Therapy Save your Relationship?
- Common Issues in Couples Therapy - Sound Familiar?
- Couple Fighting - How Often do Healthy Partners Fight?
- Why People Cheat and Counselling for Affairs
- 'The Relate Guide to Better Relationships: Practical Ways to Make Your Love Last.' Sarah Litvinoff (1998).
- ‘Overcoming Relationship Problems: A Self Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques’. by Dr. Michael Crowe (2005).