Teenagers today face a number of challenges. It is estimated that less than a third of children under 18 with a psychological problem receive any help. Typical problems range from ever-rising exam pressures to the lure of the internet. We see growing numbers of teenagers suffering from depression, stress-related conditions, low self-esteem, drug and alcohol abuse, eating disorders, and relational difficulties.
Some typical signs of psychological problems in adolescents
- Difficulty in coping with daily life
- Excessive worrying
- Extended period of depression and lethargy
- Noticeable changes in eating and/or sleeping
- References to suicide or self-harm
- Apparent changes in personality
- Volatile mood
- Drug/alcohol misuse
- Pronouced demonstrations of agression.
What is Adolescent Counselling and Psychotherapy?
Counselling for teenagers incorporates principles of adult therapy but is underpinned by developmental psychology. Adolescent counsellors need a specific training in order to work with teenagers, and must have undergone a CRB check.
It takes a particular skill to engage with adolescents and to guide them in overcoming their difficulties without interrupting the course of natural development. Harley Therapy has specialist counselling psychologists who are trained to work with adolescents and teenagers.
How can Counselling for Teenagers help?
- Gives teenagers the chance to talk about all issues in a safe environment
- Helps them gain confidence in self-expression as a teenager
- Improves their communication levels through practice and with therapist feedback
- Helps them learn to recognise strengths and weaknesses
- Teaches them ways of overcoming worries, pressures and negative behaviours.
Adolescent Counselling at Harley Therapy™, London
Our team includes counsellors and clinical psychologists who have significant experience in working with young adults and children. Amongst them, Mark Flynn, clinical psychologist, has experience in a specialist adolescent setting. Call us to see how we can help, or enquire online.